Sunday, September 4, 2016

Just Because



Political signs are taking over my city.  My eyes glaze over the confetti of red and blue cardboard polluting the street corners; their slogans run together. This morning, however, alone on the corner, I stopped, read and rejoiced.  Someone took the time to make a sign that read “Not Running for Office – Have a Great Day!” 

There is so much about this that I love.  I love the simplicity of this gesture. “Have a nice day.”  It is something we hear often but seeing it on a poster board elevated it and gave it life.  The tiniest gesture can make the biggest impact.  How often do we offer a smile, thank a clerk, share a compliment?  These little things can be the change in someone’s day and this sign was a friendly reminder that we can all do better. I am “simply positive” each and every one of us has something we can share with the world today.

What I love most about this gesture is that nobody has taken credit for it.  So often we notice big charitable gestures, celebrities visiting children in the hospital, singers traveling to third world countries to feed those in need.  While the acts of kindness are lovely and important, there is often common thread – attribution. It's such a marketing buzzword right now -- Attribution -- and there is no place for it in the world of positivity.  Needing affirmation of your good deeds takes just a bit of sweetness away. 

“Carry out random acts of kindness with no expectation of reward, safe in knowing that one day, someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana

I am not standing on a soap box saying I’ve never taken credit for the good things I’ve done, but the ones I’ve kept silent give me the most pleasure.  I’ll tell you a secret just to support my point – and I hope this doesn’t sour my memory.  Many years ago, there was a woman who was very kind to my child at a time he needed a lot of help.  I never forgot her.  I heard through the grapevine she had fallen on hard times after a divorce and losing her job.  It was nearing Christmas and it broke my heart to think of her struggling with three kids near the holiday.  A friend and I collected gift cards from local stores and restaurants and left them in a Holiday Card on her porch.  We didn’t sign the card, nor did we ever tell her it was us.  I see her occasionally and it makes me smile to know that this small gesture probably made a big difference for her at that time. 

Anonymous gestures of kindness don’t have to be grand.  Something as small as returning your shopping cart and others you see stranded along the way is an easy thing to do.  Take in your neighbors’ garbage cans if you notice they’re getting home late from work.  Put change in someone’s parking meter. Make a charitable donation quietly.  One of the best gifts I’ve ever received was a donation for Kiva.  With Kiva you can repeatedly give money to different people in various countries who need loans.  When they pay it back, it goes back in your “bank” and you can regift it – over and over.  The opportunities are endless.


Homework this week is easy.  Do something nice for someone without telling them or your friends/family/social media.  I would, however, love for you to share what you did in the Comments as it may inspire others looking for ideas on how to spread positivity.



No comments:

Post a Comment