Sunday, October 9, 2016

What's New with You?

Every Thursday I volunteer at our local hospital.  One of my duties is to process new volunteers, entering their personal information into a database.  This week I came across not one, but TWO volunteers in their mid-to-late 80s.  My first thought was that it was impressive these two women were in such great health but then I realized there was something bigger in play.  Some people associate the elderly population as slow-moving, bingo-playing curmudgeons.  I will admit that when I think of the elderly I sometimes think of people who are very structured in their lives, sticking to routines and things they are comfortable with.  I haven’t thought of them as adventurous or open-minded…until now.  What these two women have in common is that they are willing to try something new.  Involving oneself in a new environment, meeting new people and tackling new jobs or tasks can be daunting for anyone, let alone someone in their later years.   Trying new things and being open to possibility is imperative to growth and I’m “simply positive” we are never too old to try.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.  It might be scary, it should be challenging and at the very best, it will make you feel uncomfortable.  The reward of your effort, however, is always worth it.  This year has been one of growth for me.  It has made me feel all of the above – scared, challenged, uncomfortable, but the result is that I’m learning new things about myself. I’m learning what I’m capable of doing and I’m learning to enjoy the adventure of trying new things.  I’ve tried Nadi Yoga to get in tune with my chakras; I started this blog; I’ve put myself out there and made new friends well into my 40s; I even tried replacing my Grande nonfat latte with a Misto (crazy, right!?)  The biggest thing I tried this year was finding my inner goddess.  That is maybe a little crazier than the Misto but here is what it meant for me.  Finding my inner goddess was about discovering what is holding me back from growing.  What is holding me back from doing the things that I want to do and what is holding me back from finding my purpose.  I was lucky enough to be able to go on an amazing weekend journey of the minds called the Girls Goddess Weekend (check out www.purposegirl.com). It was everything that makes me uncomfortable.  Traveling alone to Miami, I would soon meet dozens of new people and would open up and share my feelings and my deep-rooted fears.   As overwhelming as it was to embrace all of these things, it led me to so much positivity.  It unlocked me in so many ways and I’m so proud of myself trying something new and begin open to change and growth.


Your homework this week is to try something new every day this week.  Reflect on the journey.  Was it easy for you?  What was the result of the change?  Did you enjoy it?  Did it make you uncomfortable?  I guarantee the change won’t kill you.  Some suggestions: drive a new way to the office, listen to a different station on your commute to school, cook (or order) something you’ve never tried before, ask someone for a coffee date that you’ve enjoyed speaking with but never socialized with before, try a new exercise routine, go see a movie outside of your normal genre OR change a behavior.  Try a new approach or attitude to an everyday encounter.  I can't wait to hear about the newer you!





1 comment: