Sunday, January 15, 2017

What's the Word?

“What is the meaning of life?”  This is an age-old question we still don’ t have the answer to, but maybe it’s because we are asking the wrong question.  Maybe the question is, “How do make this vast, existential inquiry a personal one?"  For me, I’ve come to realize that the meaning of my own life is my intent.  I’ve spent lots of time pursuing my purpose on this earth but until last week, hadn’t given much thought as to my intent.  Are they one and the same?   My interpretation is that they are slightly different.  Purpose and Intention involve an aim or plan, but Intent also means: “the healing process of a wound”.  Purpose is an intention for you set for yourself, and Intent is an aim set to help others.

What your intent?  If you had to sum up your life into just one word, what would that word be?  What’s the first word that comes to mind? Don’t give it too much thought! Just trust your gut and see what happens.  I did this last week with a company called MyIntent.org and it threw me for a loop.

I found MyIntent.org by accident while Internet surfing and it caught my attention. 
It was an advertisement for a very basic-looking bracelet.  The simple round grommet with colorful string was definitely not a fashion statement so what was all the fuss about?  Why was Kanye West wearing it on the cover of Time magazine?  I read it’s mission statement, “Our mission is to be a catalyst for meaningful conversation and positive energy in the world.”  Hmmmmm – all that from a bracelet?  Okay, I’ll play.

After choosing a color, I was asked to choose a word.  I instinctively chose the word “Give.”  This really surprised me, as I would have thought I would have chosen mother or smile or positivity or kindness.  Why would I choose Give?  Maybe that was part of the exercise – to dive deep into myself to figure out my intent.  Upon checkout, I was asked to complete my “Story”….they wanted to know why I chose the word “Give” so that while they were making my bracelet they could keep it in mind.  How sweet!  Without thinking, I wrote:  “My intent is to give.  Give my time. My love. My smile. My positivity.  It has taken me a long time to figure out what my passion in life is and I’ve realized it doesn’t take much to fill me. Giving of myself is my life’s passion.”  Just writing that down on paper fulfilled me and solidified my intent – something I had never given thought to before. It made me realize that I do have something valuable to share. What I have to give is enough.  I am not going to change the world by inventing a cure for cancer, nor am I going to be the first female president, but I am going to give as much as I can to as many people as I can.  I am “simply positive” that is my intent in this lifetime.

I received my bracelet this week with a handwritten note from Rachel, the girl who packaged or possibly produced it.  She wrote, “When you do something from your soul, a river moves in you. A joy.” –Rumi.  “Keep shining.”   While I do like my new bracelet, it is not something I need to wear every day to remind me to fulfill my intent.   The happiness I feel every day from living my positive life comes from the river moving inside of me that spills from the ocean of my intent.  The happy little dots are all connected and it all makes sense now. 


1 comment: