Sunday, November 20, 2016

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Chrismukkah

So my thoughts this week could, potentially, offend my Jewish friends.  My initial instinct was to apologize in advance but to be honest, this blog is supposed to be my diary so I guess I will just say what I want to say and hope for the best.
 
I love Christmas.  There – it’s out there and I make no apologies.


Growing up in a Jewish house, Christmas was always the time of year I felt like the odd man out.  We couldn’t decorate the house with festive lights, I couldn’t wear goofy Christmas sweaters, and I felt like I was cheating at school if I colored my holiday projects in green and red instead of blue and well…more blue.  Most of my life, Christmas was off limits.  My father was an observant, conservative Jew and my mother remarried a man who was also Jewish. As much as I tried to persuade them that a Hanukkah bush was a “thing” and most certainly not a symbol of Jesus Christ, they weren’t buying it.  I think the reason I wanted Christmas so badly is because, unlike my fellow Jewish friends, I knew what I was missing.  As a young child, my at-the-time single mother brought Christmas into our lives.  We hung stockings, trimmed our fake Christmas tree and watched Rudolph on TV while nibbling on holiday treats.  Things were merry and bright.  Until they weren’t.  Growing up I yearned for Christmas.   The closest thing I got to it during most of my childhood was working at the mall as a Santa’s Elf.  It wasn’t the material part of the holiday that was appealing, nor was it the eggnog or fruitcake.  It was the family time.  The holiday commercials showing loving, nuclear families gathering to share time and make Christmas memories represented the childhood and family I always wanted.  Christmas is always a day that time stands still.  Nothing is more important than being together.  Who wouldn’t want that? 


This past weekend, the Honey and I went to Nashville for a little weekend away.  I thought it would be fun to do something a little kitschy and touristy so I booked a dinner cruise on the General Jackson riverboat.  Walking up the plank to board, I was immediately in love with the holiday lights, the red bows and pine tree accents.  My Honey?  Not so much.  He also grew up in the “We don’t do Christmas” household.  Once we sat down at our seats and the Emcee opened the entertainment portion of the show, I was in for a treat and the Honey was in for an evening of eye rolling.  What they didn’t tell me when I bought the tickets were that it was the Christmas show.  Two hours of Christmas on the river.  He couldn’t escape and I couldn’t be happier.  I relished every holiday song.  At the end of the night, they closed the show with “O Holy Night” and I was a little embarrassed by how much it moved me.  I was reminded of how spiritual this time of year is – it’s a time of togetherness, kindness, peace, hope, joy, family, generosity and faith.  No matter what religion we are, I think we can all get on board with that.  In this very trying time in our country, where many of us feel scared and insecure, Christmas this year – more than ever – is something to be treasured.  I may not have a tree, or and Ugly Christmas sweater, but I am “simply positive” there is still so much good in this world to celebrate.

Your homework this week is to get in the Holiday Spirit!  Here is a handy tool -- https://www.tvguide.com/special/holiday-guide/calendar/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Miss Dena, I don't do Christmas as an event, but I love the lights and decorations. You'll laugh, my outside lights are blue and white and I leave them up until the middle of February, because it is nice to have something cheerful and bright in the dark time of the year. And like your poster says, it IS a perfect time to reflect on our blessings. You are a blessing to many.

    ReplyDelete