Sunday, November 6, 2016

It's Time for a Commercial Break


I KNOW I am not alone when I say that I cannot take one more second of this election.   No matter what party you side with, the mud slinging is like none I can remember.  While Hillary has shown some ethical deficiency and is polarizing to some, Trump’s blatant sexist, racist, narcissistic, immoral, and hateful behavior truly frightens me.  It saddens me that half of our country is eager to blindly follow empty rhetoric.  I am disappointed that so many people are as ignorant, selfish, greedy, and as hateful as he is.  I am deeply concerned that our children are seeing this display and that it is possibly their future.  Trump says we are the laughing stock of the world? He may be right, and we only have ourselves to blame.  We are a culture lead by materialism and money is idolized above humanity.  We are a country obsessed with reality TV meltdowns, brainless sound bites, and sexual misdeeds.   The worst part of these ugly, spiteful displays is that it has somehow become our entertainment.

I long to live on a planet where there are no Housewives or Kardashians.  I know I’m in the minority and I’m okay with that. Many people watch the Real A-holes of Insert City because they find it hilarious.  It’s silly, it’s pretty to look at, and it’s over the top.  It's escapism.  I know we need that in our stressful lives, but I know there is a healthier option.  Watching ignorant people treat each other horribly is not entertainment to me.  It makes me physically uncomfortable.  The saddest part of this is that these “reality” situations are manufactured for our entertainment.  We are entertained by terrible, mean, hurtful behavior. I am “simply positive” it is time to recalibrate what entertains you.

Don’t get me wrong – I love pop culture and enjoy television and movies.  I have nothing against people who are famous – especially if they have earned the status for a special talent or invention or impact on the world.  Nowadays it doesn’t take much to be famous and you certainly do not need talent.  Swap your face on Snapchat and dubsmash a pop song, throw it on YouTube and a million “likes” later and you are famous.  Our nations’ obsession with celebrity could quite possibly determine our next president.

Your homework this week is to assess what entertains you.  How much time are you spending with things that are not adding value to your life?  Has ugly, hateful behavior become entertainment for you? What can you replace that time with? 

No comments:

Post a Comment