Sunday, November 27, 2016

Mirror, Mirror...

Thanksgiving was a few days ago but I am still in the holiday frame of mind today.  Like most people, I am so thankful to live in a free country; for having equal rights as a woman; for a growing economy; and the obvious things like my family and friends. This year, I added something new to my list.  It wasn’t anything I gave much thought to, until recently.  In fact, I am not one who takes compliments well or leads with ego. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m thankful for me, myself, and I. 

I have lived with myself for a pretty long time and I’m very thankful for the person I am.  I am thankful for decisions I’ve made, the lessons I’ve been open to learning, the people I’ve allowed to make an impact in my life, and the openness to change that helps me grow every day.  I’m thankful for the support and love I was shown growing up that has given me confidence and a strong moral compass.  I’m thankful for my best friend who would encourage me and point out my positive qualities, even before he put a ring on my finger.  I am grateful to nurture and show unconditional love to two incredible young men.  Seeing their best qualities, and knowing I made an impact, is what I’m most thankful for.  Slowing down long enough to reflect on what gives me purpose and what’s important to me has been a very meaningful exercise.  Taking time to inventory the qualities I like about myself, and the ones I need improvement on is a gift I give myself.  I am thankful for self-awareness.

I am thankful for the impact I make on others.  I know that every day I make at least one person smile.  Everyone has special qualities that impact the world around them in positive ways.  Just thinking of the people I see or talk to most days makes me smile for so many different reasons.  I have those who make me laugh, those who are reliable, those who are encouraging, those who are supportive, and those who just bring a welcome smile.  Every person I surround myself with adds color to who I am. It’s such a gift!

What are your special qualities that you like about yourself?  What gifts are you sharing with the world around you?  It’s okay to give yourself permission to be proud of yourself and to like yourself.  When is the last time you spent time alone?  I’m “simply positive” everyone needs time to take a good look at yourself in the mirror.  Chances are, if you look deep in your heart, you will love what you see.


No comments:

Post a Comment